1. What is the Richland One Middle College?
The Richland One Middle College (ROMC) at Midlands Technical College (MTC) is an award-winning school of choice that offers juniors and seniors the opportunity to attend high school on a college campus. The school is designed to provide students a high-tech education in a small learning environment. Through innovative approaches, such as FREE college audit opportunities, mentorships, and the use of a Microsoft Surface Pro, students can successfully complete high school prepared for college and a professional career, after attending ROMC.
2. What is the major goal of ROMC?
The primary goal of ROMC is to provide students with a seamless transition from high school to post-secondary pursuits: two-year community or technical college, four-year college or university, military, or workforce.
3. What type of instructional program will be offered?
• Courses required for a South Carolina high school diploma
• Academic and Career Excellence (ACE) honors program
• Dual enrollment for an early start on college curriculum
• Project-based learning
• Grade-level research projects
• Technology-driven environment
• Community service learning and 21st century skills training
• Special career exploration opportunities, leadership development, and character education
4. Where is ROMC located and what are the hours?
ROMC is located at Midlands Technical College on the Beltline Campus. The main office is in Richland Hall, Room 131.
The office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
The core classes are scheduled from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
Elective classes begin at 9:30 AM.
5. How do I apply and what is the deadline for application?
Complete and submit the Richland One Middle College Application.
Completed applications may be mailed or faxed to:
Richland One Middle College
Attn: Guidance Office
316 South Beltline Boulevard
Richland Hall 131
Columbia, SC 29205
Applications and general information are also available through the following channels:
ROMC main office: MTC, Beltline Campus – Richland Hall, Room 131
ROMC website: RichlandOneMiddleCollege.com
High School Guidance Counselors
6. How many students can enroll in ROMC?
ROMC has a maximum capacity of 150 students.
7. What happens if more students apply than the school can accommodate?
A lottery process will be implemented and a waiting list created.
8. How much does it cost?
Richland One Middle College is a public charter high school. There is no tuition cost; however, standard school fees do apply.
9. What are some points of interest about ROMC?
• First middle college in South Carolina
• Only high school of choice in Richland School District One
• Free collage credits and textbooks for these who qualify
• Small class sizes – 16:1 average student-teacher ratio
• Free Microsoft Surface Pro usage
• Flexible school hours
• Career exploration opportunities
• Student-centered environment & interactive activities